Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

New Running Shoes

Hello All,

My new Nike Free 3.0 shoes have arrived.   I custom designed the colors so it took a couple extra weeks to get them delivered, but worth the wait I think. :)

I have been running in Nike shoes for a while now at least 3 years. I just recently started running with the Nike Free style of shoes forcing me to run more on my mid-foot instead of the heal strike runner I used to be.  I find that this type of running has helped me to increase my speed and causing less fatigue on my knees.
It definitely takes a bit of a transition period to get used to the mid-foot strike running, since you are using your calf muscle a lot more.  I would say it took me a couple of weeks of shorter runs to get used to this new style, and I still feel next day soreness in my calves after a longer run (10+ miles). In general I think this type of mid-foot strike running has been very helpful with my running.

I recently read "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall.   I thought this was a very good book and it helped me to understand more about mid-foot / barefoot running.  I highly recommend this book for any runner.


Have a great day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment