Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Treadmill vs Road Running

I am constantly asked why I run outside on the road when I could run on the treadmill in a nice controlled environment?  Why do I torture myself with running in the hot, cold, rain, and snow?  Why not just run on a treadmill?

Well for me there is not comparison to running outdoors on the road.  I really love to run outside, and can't stand to be stuck running on a treadmill.  The joy of the scenery, the people you see, the wildlife, the wind blowing in your face, and the sounds that you hear.  So what if every one in a while you get a little rain or snow in your face, or you have to add a few layers to run in the cold or remove a few to run in the heat.  It always beats being stuck on a treadmill going nowhere looking at the same old things, even with a TV it just gets so darn boring running on a treadmill.  

Don't get me wrong I started running on a treadmill, that lasted about a month, once I got up to 3 miles I just couldn't take it and had to venture outside.   Luckily I work with a bunch of runners so they helped me make the transition and showed me some good places to start running.

That was 5 years ago now, amazing how time goes by so quickly, seems like only the other day I was running in my 1st marathon.   Now 5 years later and I have completed 4 marathons, 5 half marathons 2 10 mile broad street runs and a countless number of 10K and 5K races.

I love running, the feeling I get during the run and after the run is pure joy.  There are days that I just don't feel like running but I get out there and do it anyway, and afterward I am happy that I did it.  I truly feel energized after a nice run, not the long runs, a nice easy 3 - 5 mile run really gets the juices flowing and get me pumped up for the day.













Let me know what your thoughts are.

Have a great day all.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment